Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Go to Oath Keepers Site to Read Recent Writings by Stewart Rhodes

This is my old, private blog that is now sadly neglected since I have launched Oath Keepers, which has truly taken off like a rocket, leaving me no time for personal blogging - not that I'm complaining. the Oath Keepers mission is very important, and worth the time and effort.

Go here: www.oathkeepers.org

However, if you want to see what prompted me to finally launch Oath Keepers, there are several posts on this blog that show my thinking (in addition to my writings for SWAT Magazine).

Back in 2006 I wrote several scathing criticisms of the Bush Administration's absurd and dangerous claims of nearly unlimited executive "war" powers. Those articles built on my research at Yale Law School (where I won the Miller Prize for best paper on the Bill of Rights).

One of the most common refrains I get from Obama supporters is "where were you when Bush was violating the Constitution." Well, I was right here. Read this:

Government Supremacists: Neocons, the National Security New Dealers

And to see my thinking of how all that expansion of claimed war powers could be turned inward, and used on the American people, read this 2006 article:

The Clinton Era Proposal to Use Military Tribunals on McVeigh and the Militias

That article explains how, back in the Clinton years, there was a proposal to use the laws of war and military tribunals on McVeigh and also on the militia movement. That proposal went nowhere, but then Bush used the same precedents cited in that proposal, and then put into place modern doctrines and case law that built precisely the infrastructure of domestic application of he laws of war advocated in that Clinton era proposal. So, what Clinton did not have, Bush built, and now that vastly expanded executive power is laying around like a loaded gun, just waiting to be picked up and used by a future president who may be tempted to use it against political opponents and so-called "domestic terrorists."

Lastly, here is a post that describes my phone call with the Iowa National Guard Public Relations officer that finally prompted me to start Oath Keepers:


My Phone Call With Col. Hapgood of the Iowa National Guard About Training for House to House Search for a "Weapons Dealer"

No comments: